||[Jul. 31st, 2012|04:51 pm]
Sometimes a project is like trying to figure out a math problem, you know a simple solution is there but haven't sat down to figure it out. A year or two ago I got some tea towels, and the thought struck me that they were the right texture of fabric for a simple peasant blouse or poet shirt worn at renfaire. So I put a few tea towels aside for when I figured out the easiest way to do it. |
A few months ago I ended up getting several scarfs for an unrelated project. With a couple surplus scarfs laying around, it dawned on me that they could also make nice peasant blouses. Often a light fabric, some with nice prints, easy to sew together. Today I took two scarfs that I didn't care about (no idea why I got that shade of grey anyway, must have been for a belt), cut then into pieces and sewed together a decent peasant blouse.
This one was for proof of concept, I need to tweak it a bit for a good fit and come up with what I refer to as a "pattern formula" like I do with kimonos, meaning i can measure someone and give simple dimensions for how the pattern pieces should be cut. I also need to work on how I would normally finish the edges and create the elastic casing around the neck hole and cuffs. I'll also be pondering how to do a man's poet shirt out of the same basic pattern, without the gathering into a collar that annoys me for some reason.